Advisor Media Relations
- Join a supportive and collaborative Global Media team
- Be valued for your writing skills and media relations expertise
- Challenge yourself to think outside of the box
- 12 month contract| Part-Time job share (Weds, Thurs and Fri)| Perth based CBD
Where we’re all welcome
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We acknowledge that all people are different and believe that our differences are our strength. The diversity of skills, life experiences and perspectives within our team enhances our way of working and our ability to achieve success together.
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
The Advisor, Media Relations, reports to the Principal Advisor of Media Relations and works within the global media team. The role also works close with the broader External Communications, Communications, Investor Relations, Human Resources and wider Corporate Affairs teams.
This role is primarily focused on media activities in Western Australia and supporting Rio Tinto’s Iron Ore business but will also provide support to any other Product Group or function as necessary, in support of Rio Tinto’s strategic objectives.
In this role you will:
- Be a member of the Global Media Team
- Be responsible for writing media releases as well as briefing notes for executives and managers
- Support media monitoring and measurement activities
- Support delivery of Rio Tinto’s global media relations strategy, with a focus on media in Western Australia, primarily supporting Rio Tinto Iron Ore but also any other Product Group or function as necessary
- Provide day-to-day guidance and advice on both reactive and proactive media engagements and devise strategies to best handle those matters
- Work closely with colleagues in the broader External Communications team to ensure alignment between media, social media and digital channels
- Proactively work with product groups, assets, country teams and functions to ensure clear and timely engagement and communication with media
- Build and maintain an appropriate network across mainstream, regional and business media
- Support the review and implementation of Group-wide media relations policy, procedures, guidelines and other tools (e.g. training programmes)
- Actively keep abreast of Group strategy, initiatives, and key issues to ensure communications support takes changes into account
- Stay up to date on industry trends, executive activity (particularly media and social media) at peer companies and relevant leading corporates to help shape strategy.
What you’ll bring
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Experience in managing aspects of reputation and communications in large companies, agencies, or government departments or experience as a journalist.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated highly collaborative behaviour and ability to derive value from the broader organisation through sharing knowledge, experience, and skills.
- Ability to produce high quality work under time constraints.
What we offer
- Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A fixed term contract position working directly for Rio Tinto
- Full relocation provided to Western Australia from elsewhere in Australia
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive bonus
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave, cultural leave)
- To better suit different family needs, our paid parental leave approach gives all parents the option to take 18 weeks of paid leave after a new child arrives – at a time that suits them
- Exclusive employee discounts including hotel stays, banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more, read more about the huge range of benefits here: https://bit.ly/43AQLue
Where you’ll be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, we own an integrated portfolio of iron ore assets supported by functional teams in the Perth hub: a world-class, integrated network of 16 mines, four independent port terminals, a 1,700 kilometre rail network and related infrastructure – all designed to respond rapidly to changes in demand. Based out our Perth Central Park location the role will also involve occasional travel to the Pilbara region.
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Applications close on 24th February 2024(Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date).