Emergency Response Officers
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Competitive salary package with outstanding company benefits
- FIFO roles - 8 days on, 6 days off roster
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for enthusiastic and high performing Emergency Services Officers to join our Emergency Services Team at various sites across our Pilbara Mining Operations. You will be responsible for providing emergency response and medical support to site-based incidents as required.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
This role is for applicants residing in Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable. Altern atively we also have some residential positions for Emergency Services Officers within the Pilbara communities in which we operate such as Wickham, Karratha, Pannawonica, Tom Price and Paraburdoo.
Reporting to the Emergency Services Supervisor and working in a challenging and exciting environment within the Pilbara Mining Operations, Resource Development or Supply Chain Services, you will be required to:
- Undertake emergency and routine medical care in accordance with protocols
- Undertake emergency and routine fire and rescue duties in accordance with procedures
- Operate emergency vehicles in accordance with Rio Tinto procedures and applicable state regulations
- Manage and undertake alcohol and other drug testing in accordance with the Rio Tinto Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy and Procedures
- Conduct mayday, alarm and communication checks
- Train, mentor and actively recruit Emergency Response Team (ERT) members
- Respond to fire alarms and conduct routine maintenance as per the site plan
- Manage site emergency incidents as Incident Commander in conjunction with site Emergency Response Teams
What you’ll bring
- Certificate IV in Health Care (Ambulance) – minimum qualification or AHPRA Registered medical qualification (Paramedic/ Nurse)
- Certificate III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue or Cert III in Public Safety (Fire Fighting and Emergency Operations) or appropriate individual competencies appropriate for RPL to achieve Certificate III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue onboarding
- Including as a minimum vertical rescue, road crash rescue, firefighting, confined space rescue, breathing apparatus (open circuit) and Hazchem.
- National Police Certificate (Poisons Permit requirement within last 3 years)
- CPR (valid within last year)
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Collector qualification
- Driver’s License – National MR class
- Experience in pre-hospital medical evaluation & treatment.
- Experience leading and managing emergency response teams within mining or similar industries.
- A working knowledge of industrial emergency response and Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) policy, protocols and procedures
- Previous responsibility for emergency services resources in the prevention of, preparedness for, response to and recovery from likely emergency situations
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) 1
- Diploma of Paramedical Science OR Bachelor of Paramedical Science/ Nursing (AHPRA Registered)
- Professional experience working within a State-based emergency response agency
- Incident Command (AIIMS)
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
What we offer
- Permanent Rio Tinto contract
- Competitive salary package with annual performance bonus
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Generous employee share plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- A broad range of employee discounts in banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Learning and development opportunities to support your desired technical or leadership career path
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world plus explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world's largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world's largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions. You may also be required to complete on-line assessments as part of the selection process.