Maintenance Engineer – Dampier
We encourage women and Indigenous Peoples to apply, as we advance our business to more accurately reflect the world around us.
- Real opportunity to make an impact and advance your professional leadership career
- Be part of a fun and high performing team and work with a leader who is passionate about developing and supporting their team
- Use your expertise in fixed plant maintenance and reliability to support the Dampier Ports maintenance team
- Join the relaxed residential lifestyle in the coastal Karratha/Dampier community with relocation and housing benefits provided or FIFO from Perth (Roster 8/6)
Where we’re all welcome
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us who we are.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We acknowledge that all people are different and believe that our differences are our strength. The diversity of skills, life experiences and perspectives within our team enhances our way of working and our ability to achieve success together.
About the role
We are looking for a Maintenance Engineer to join our Maintenance Engineering and Reliability Team at Dampier Ports. Based at one of the largest bulk cargo port terminals in Australia, this role will primarily be focused on implementing mechanical engineering solutions for site defects to improve plant reliability, increase plant throughput and ensure the safe operation of assets.
This role is a great opportunity for an ambitious and enthusiastic engineer to join a supportive, fun and high performing team and to work with a leader who will encourage you to advance and progress your career.
Reporting to the Senior Maintenance Engineer, you will:
- Provide technical advice to maintenance, planning and operations teams
- Identify site improvement projects to optimise plant reliability, availability and maintainability
- Provide engineering assistance for procurement of new assets / components
- Support change management processes relating to fixed plant and marine maintenance activities
- Identify, generate and report on plant changes and improvement initiatives
- Promote a culture of safety by developing and implementing strategies and projects that improve and update designs in accordance with standards
- Lead safety and failure investigations and risk assessments
What you’ll bring
With tertiary qualifications in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline, ideally you will have demonstrated mechanical experience in a maintenance engineering or reliability engineering role within a mining or industrial environment. You will have a strong focus towards safety and safe work practises and an understanding of equipment failure investigation using root cause analysis techniques.
With prior project management experience, you will have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and be able to collaborate with a diverse range of internal partners. A ‘C’ class manual driver’s license will also be required, MSIC card (or ability to obtain one), and you will be someone who thrives on a challenge and is seeking a dynamic and fast paced hands-on role. In addition to extensive experience utilising SAP for work management processes, an understanding of material handling principles and design, along with knowledge of classified and itinerate plant will be advantageous.
What we offer
- Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- Full relocation provided to Western Australia from elsewhere in Australia
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive bonus
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave, cultural leave)
- To better suit different family needs, our paid parental leave approach gives all parents the option to take 18 weeks of paid leave after a new child arrives – at a time that suits them
- Exclusive employee discounts including hotel stays, banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more.
We are committed to elevating Indigenous voices and increasing cultural knowledge in our business. Diversity of skills, life experiences and perspectives within our team enhances our way of working and our ability to achieve success together. To help you on your journey with us, you’ll also have access to:
- Specialist Indigenous Support Advisors are always there for our Indigenous employees and available to support through any aspect of your employment
- Indigenous leadership programmes across some professional and operational roles to ensure that we are developing Indigenous Leaders.
Who we are
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals, and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive.
We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you’ll be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world's largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world's largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
This position is based in the coastal town of Karratha / Dampier working on a 5/2; 4/3 Residential roster or FIFO from Perth (Roster 8/6)
You will enjoy a relaxed lifestyle and a range of leisure facilities and local amenities in a safe and family friendly environment. Comprehensive relocation assistance, heavily subsidised housing and other residential lifestyle allowances and benefits will be available.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions. This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn
Applications close on 26 February 2024 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)