Operations Manager, Mining and Services - Gove
- Vibrant community with excellent facilities, company provided housing, generous salary packaging and employee benefits
- Unique and culturally diverse location - Gove, Nhulunbuy (Northern Territory) - Relocation provided
- Join an encouraging leadership group, who are committed to your growth and development, and promote work/life balance
- Enjoy a dynamic and varied site portfolio as part of the Senior Leadership Team
Where we’re all welcome
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We acknowledge that all people are different and believe that our differences are our strength. The diversity of skills, life experiences and perspectives within our team enhances our way of working and our ability to achieve success together.
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
Gove Operations have been supplying the global aluminium industry with world-class bauxite for more than 40 years. Located in Australia’s Northern Territory, each year the operation produces approximately 12 million tonnes of bauxite.
With a workforce of 550 people, daily activities include mine operations, maintenance, asset management, shutdown planning and execution, export operations and cultural heritage management.
We expect our bauxite mining operations on the Gove Peninsula will cease in 2029 and we are undertaking significant work to support closure of the operation. We also recognise our operations take place on Indigenous-owned land, and we are committed to working together to achieve a positive future for Nhulunbuy and the Gove Peninsula post-mining.
We are looking for a people-focused Operations Manager to lead the safe and productive execution of our Mining and Services operations activities for our Gove Bauxite Mine. The role interacts with a broad range of stakeholders including governments, regional and local communities and local businesses. You will enjoy a broad portfolio of work, including the management of Mine Operations, Heavy Equipment Workshop, Mine Services (maintenance of site infrastructure and roads) and Learning & Development teams.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry’s best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
Reporting to the General Manager, Gove Operations and operating within a broad, highly diverse and complex environment, you will be accountable for:
- Leading a team of superintendents in the safe planning, organisation, implementation, and execution of a site business plan
- Oversee production, process and maintenance strategies to meet targets
- Manage financials to ensure budget adherence and productivity improvements
- Work as a leadership representative in the region
- Work closely with external stakeholders to develop, build and maintain relationships
- Managing commercial, legal and statutory obligations across all field operations activities, ensuring that Rio Tinto compliance obligations are met across the entire breadth of the project under development.
What you will bring
- Demonstrated commitment to the safety, care and development of people to enable them to perform to their full potential
- Safety is your core value and you have a demonstrated record in leading cross functional teams of employees and contractors to deliver safe outputs
- Proven leadership experience (mine operations leadership will be highly regarded)
- Ability to work independently and make risk-based decisions to deliver a sustainable (HSES), productive and financially astute operation
- Experience with and ability to drive sustainable cost and productivity improvements
- A commitment to care for country and experience in the promotion of traditional owner engagement and development
What we offer
- Domestic relocation assistance
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents.
Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Please note, to be successfully considered for a role you must complete all pre-screening questions and medicals.
Applications close on 18 February 2024 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date).