Product Designer, Brisbane – Australia
- Contribute to driving new product enhancements and be a part of creating an innovative future.
- Collaborate with highly skilled technical teams to elevate your career.
- 12 month fixed-term permant position.
At Rio Tinto, we are finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs. For 150 years we’ve been looking for new and better ways of doing things. Today you will find our teams around the world doing just that: seeking opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint, partnering to develop new technologies to decarbonise steel and aluminium production and create new products from waste.As part of the commitment to our purpose, Rio Tinto continues to build a world-class software product development team. Sitting within our company wide Information Systems & Technology function, our Products & Software Development (P&SD) team is focused on delivering high value and strategic products for the digital transformation of Rio Tinto. We are excited by the challenging problems we have to solve, supported by a culture that is value driven, diverse and inclusive, innovative, and fun. We think you might be surprised about what we are creating here at Rio Tinto.
About The Design Team You’ll Be Joining
We are committed to making a meaningful difference to the 49,000 people across Rio Tinto as they do their day-to-day jobs through our software. To do that well, and to deliver on our promises as a business, we know that user-centred design matters.
Across the landscape of software products needed to support a business of our size, we need to grow our Product Design team to several times its current size. Make no mistake, this is a unique opportunity to grow personally along with helping to scale a team that is driving new product development.
What we are looking for
As a Product Designer, you will
- Have professional experience in UX and product design, coupled with a strong familiarity with Microsoft enterprise products.
- Experience conducting workshops with clients to extract valuable insights and foster a design-thinking mindset.
- Engage in user research to define problems and translate user needs into actionable insights, user flows, and fitting functionalities.
- Create user flows, wireframes, clickable prototypes and other artifacts to convey the experience to clients, users and developers.
- Have a keen attention to detail, viewing projects through a customer-centric lens.
- Proficient in defining product scopes and success metrics, testing assumptions, incorporating feedback, and adapting to outcomes.
- Adept at conducting and summarizing insights from both qualitative and quantitative research.
- Proficiency in Figma and comfortable with user interface design principles.
- Collaborate with product delivery and engineering teams to conceptualise and implement innovative solutions that shape the direction and user experience of our products.
- You can ask questions to align with value and takes an autonomous approach to your job.
- You exhibit alignment with the values of Care, Courage, and Curiosity at Rio Tinto.
- Proactive with a self-motivated mindset.
- You have the capacity to contribute diverse viewpoints.
Essentials that you must have
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Computer Science, Visual Design, Communication Design or other related discipline, or equivalent experience or training.
- Experience in similar type role
- Experience in an Agile environment, design prints and design thinking model
- Strong conceptual, interaction and visual design skills
- Proficiency in Figma, Sketch Adobe CC or other visual design tools
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, negotiation and communication skills including the ability to influence stakeholders of all levels
Working At Rio Tinto
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress. Our benefits for permanent Rio Tinto employees include:
- Your base salary reflects your skills, experience, and impact in the role you are performing in. Our salary ranges are reviewed annually to ensure they remain fair internally and externally.
- Health & Wellbeing. We care about your health. We offer flexible, comprehensive medical benefits to look after your total health and wellbeing to suit your needs and life stages. This includes subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family.
- Flexible Work Arrangements. We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our office always open to balancing flexibility and connection.
- Supportive Leave Policies. We enable leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, sick, paid parental). Our inclusive parental leave policy supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
- Growth & Development. We will support you to pursue growth and development opportunities aligned with your career aspirations.
- Employee Discount & Offers. We have established partnerships with several providers who offer access to exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, car, retail and more).
- Superannuation & Shares. Extensive salary sacrifice and salary packing options. Plus, we offer an award-winning employee share plan – myShare.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
“Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit your application as soon as possible.”