- Learn, grow and make a difference
- Exceptional opportunity to drive value at site and transform the way we work
- The role is site based at our Yarwun site
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for a Project Lead to be responsible for planning and delivery of projects from initiation to completion/closeout, and focused on achieving objectives through managing resources, budgets, changes, and risks. Projects may be capital projects, functional or cross-functional projects or related to broad business improvement initiatives at the Yarwun refinery operations.
This role is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to successfully deliver minor and major projects across the refinery. This leader will be accountable to deliver projects to scope, quality, budget, and timelines ensuring compliance with standardised project processes, systems and tools.
We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
Working a 40 hour week Monday to Friday and reporting to the Specialist – Project Execution you will be:
- Leading and coordinating the project planning, resourcing, contract management, progress reporting and people management of all projects in their portfolio. .
- Responsible for ensuring results meet technical, quality, cost and schedule requirements.
- Actively involved from initiation through to completion. Ensure all stage gates are approved by the Rio Tinto Investment Committee or appropriate business unit or functional board.
- Overseeing the implementation of projects in accordance with the approved scope.
- Ensuring appropriate project governance is maintained across projects.
- Assessing project resourcing levels and leverage resources as appropriate to meet project timelines and cost.
- Implementing, refining and improving project delivery methods and standards.
- Managing project vendors including performance against contract deliverables.
- Monitoring, managing and reporting of all relevant project performance indicators to meet business requirements.
- working closely with key stakeholders to continue to foster a culture of collaboration, participation and improvement.
What you will bring
- Engineering Degree, Trade or PL qualifications
- Relevant Project Management experience combined with proven track record.
- Experience in leading/Managing multidisciplinary teams
- Experience in Project Commissioning Processes/Activities
- Financial understanding, Net Present Value, Return on Investment, Depreciation. .
- Ability to analyze and interrogate data.
- Proficiency in SAP.& advanced proficiency in MS Office suite
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Prior experience within a heavy industrial environment
- Experience in business case development for capital investment projects.
- Project controls experience on engineering and construction projects
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals, and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive.
We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you will be working
With production beginning in 2004 at our Yarwun alumina refinery, located approximately 10 kilometres north-west of Gladstone in Central Queensland, today the operation produces more than three million tonnes of alumina per year. Thanks to its ‘Industry 4.0’ focus, Yarwun is also a leader in trialling new technologies to improve operations on site, including 3D printing, robotics and drones in confined spaces, and is home to Rio Tinto’s innovative Queensland Research and Development Centre (QRDC). Along with Boyne Smelters Limited and Queensland Alumina Limited, our Yarwun Operation supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.