Radiation Hygiene Lead - ERA
- One of the world’s most unique rehabilitation projects, with complex environmental challenges
- Lead and inspire a small but talented team
- Interstate and Northern Territory candidates considered
About the role
We are looking for a Radiation Hygiene Lead to join our HSE team at Energy Resources of Australia on the Ranger Rehabilitation Project. The Rehabilitation of Ranger Mine is a flagship rehabilitation project location near Jabiru in the Northern Territory.
In the role of Radiation Hygiene Lead you will oversee the Radiation Safety and Occupational Hygiene needs of the workforce, while ensuring ERA meets government and community stakeholder commitments. Working on site at the Ranger Rehabilitation Project, reporting to the HSE Manager you will:
- Lead the radiation safety team that includes a Radiation Safety Officer (RSO), an advisor and a technician
- Be accountable for the development and implementation of radiation management plans for the Ranger Rehabilitation Project in collaboration with the RSO
- Be accountable for routine outputs of the team including radiation and hygiene monitoring, data analysis and reporting, equipment maintenance and QA/QC routines, audits and inspections and contamination exposure control.
- Be responsible for management and execution of the occupational hygiene portfolio
- Analyse hygiene data and ensure compliance with the Rio Tinto Health standards, HSEC Framework and legislative requirements
- Develop initiatives which will reduce occupational health exposure risks and develop annual monitoring plans
- Actively engage with workforce to ensure that radiation and occupational health hazards are identified and controlled
- Implement health plans ie thermal stress mitigation, noise management, airborne contaminants, potable water management, hazardous substance management and hygiene equipment management and calibrations
- Continually develop, implement and review policies and procedures relating to radiation, health and hygiene and participate in incident investigations
- Maintain a high level of compliance to HSE procedures
- Engage regularly with government and community stakeholders on matters relating to radiation and occupational hygiene
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualification in occupational hygiene or health or safety with experience in a similar role
- Extensive experience in an Occupational Hygiene role with suitable qualifications
- Leadership experience and experience in engaging with a diverse workforce
- Experience with incident investigations and risk assessment technique
- A C Class Drivers Licence
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Membership of the AIOH
- Experience in equipment servicing and calibrations
- Experience in data management software packages
- Mining experience will be highly regarded
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for ERA
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with allowances and annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
- Flexible working arrangements
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for almost 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents.
Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you’ll be working
Energy Resources of Australia Ltd (ERA) is a publicly listed company with Rio Tinto its major shareholder. ERA has mined and produced uranium oxide from its Ranger mine in the beautiful and rugged Alligator Rivers area of the Northern Territory since 1980. The Ranger mine is located on Aboriginal land, and is surrounded by, but separate from Kakadu National Park.
Mining at Ranger ceased in November 2012 and since then, Ranger has been processing ore from stockpiles.
The role is either Darwin based on a Bus in Bus out arrangement between Ranger Mine and Darwin, or locally based residential in Jabiru. Subsidised housing arrangements for Jabiru residents will be included.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Closing date: 19th February 2024