Peabody is the leading global pure-play coal company, serving power and steel customers in more than 25 countries on six continents. The company offers significant scale, high-quality assets, and diversity in geography and products. Peabody is guided by seven core values: safety, customer focus, leadership, people, excellence, integrity and sustainability.
We are currently seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our Coppabella Moorvale Joint Venture. Our Coppabella Moorvale mine complex consists of three open-cut mine operations located approximately 140 kilometres southwest of Mackay that produce premium low-volatile pulverised coal (LV-PCI) for export markets.
Reporting to the Strategic Planning Superintendent, you will be responsible for the professional delivery of high quality geotechnical and geological services. You will have the ability to apply rock mechanics principles to mine design, planning, pit optimisation and mine infrastructure development.
Duties will include:
- Determine strategy on the collection and collation of geotechnical / geological information relevant to the mining process
- Contribute to and implement standards and procedures in respect to slope/ground/ monitoring/control and mine infrastructure
- Implement monitoring regimes in respect to dumping, surface run-off and groundwater flows, and slope/ground monitoring
- Conduct geotechnical inspections of pit highwalls, dumps and other relevant structures
- Liaise with relevant production personnel to ensure effective support is provided in terms of geotechnical engineering needs (i.e. standoffs and hazard alerts)
- Provide information and advice to mine planning processes to meet production and quality targets.
- Advise and assist engineers with recommendations on geotechnical issues regarding mine design/planning and operations as requested
- Manage relevant use of external consultants for peer review and outside expertise where required
- Develop and monitor safe work practices for work on or around slopes
- Act in accordance with and adhere to Safety and Health Management System
- Ensure activities comply with safety, environmental and statutory requirements
This position is offered on a 9-day fortnight (Monday to Friday, Monday to Thursday) roster and can allow for a residential (Moranbah or Nebo), DIDO or FIFO lifestyle (from Brisbane). Employees living residentially may have access to a $15,000 housing allowance and may have the ability to salary sacrifice up to 50% of rental payments.
- Degree in Geotechnical Engineering or related discipline
- 5+ years professional experience preferably within an open cut coal mining environment
- Proficient in the use of Vulcan, Roc-Science, Slide, Swedge and Dips highly regarded
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to safety
- Exceptional relocation benefits with a possible lump sum payment of one month's salary
- Employee assistance program available for yourself and immediate family
- Novated vehicle leasing available
- Health and lifestyle benefits (WHEREFIT).
- Employee recognition program
Peabody is a world-leader in providing products for the production of affordable, reliable steel and energy to customers in 15 countries on five continents. We employ over 4,900 people, have 18 operations in the United States and Australia and in 2021 we restored 2400 acres of land. When you work with us, you are working with a team of professionals around the world who are committed to making a difference for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Peabody is a globally diverse company which offers an inclusive work environment to engage, recognise and develop employees. The company values the power of inclusion and diversity as a competitive advantage and is committed to increasing the number of diverse employees throughout its operations. We welcome applications from all diversity groups to assist us in honouring our commitment
Take the first step toward a rewarding career working with us at www.jobs.peabodyenergy.com/
Peabody Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.