Superintendent Quality – Residential
- The continue to grow on your leadership journey as part of a diverse and supportive team
- Drive a safety culture and build capability within the Quality Team at Dampier Salt
- Residential opportunity based in Port Hedland with relocation assistance and housing allowance available. Working a 5:2/4:3 Roster
Where we’re all welcome
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We acknowledge that all people are different and believe that our differences are our strength. The diversity of skills, life experiences and perspectives within our team enhances our way of working and our ability to achieve success together.
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for a Superintendent Quality to lead, coach and develop the members of the Quality team. This role will be responsible for the planning and safe execution of the quality and growth processes at our Port Hedland operation. Your role will ensure the team is set-up for success against business priorities and the seamless safe delivery of quality activities.
You will work closely with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Additionally, Rio Tinto is proud to play an important role in the Port Hedland community and this role will provide representation of Rio Tinto Iron Ore in customer and community relations and activities.
Reporting to the Manager Operations Port Hedland, you will be supported in your efforts in continually seeking to improve our processes, cost efficiency and productive capability across the operation. You will be:
- An integral leader and critical to the growth process of Dampier Salt
- Leading the focus on sustaining and improving a strong safety culture throughout the site
- Leading and coaching a multi-disciplined team of professionals and quality staff consisting of frontline supervisors, planners, technical process and chemistry professionals and trades roles
- Leading the quality team to identify and manage asset risk, ensuring the right work is completed to maintain asset integrity
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement, supporting the team in the implementation of improvement initiatives and technical advances
- Developing, monitoring and controlling approved budget to deliver cost effective services that meet the business needs while ensuring compliance with the relevant statutory legislative provisions
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Previous experience in a Superintendent position or team leadership role within the processing or mining industry
- High level of accountability paired with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively and achieve outcomes
- Demonstrated experience in driving a strong safety culture with a continuous improvement mindset
- Excellent communication skills and a proven track record in creating and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
- Qualification in chemistry, metallurgy, process engineering or related discipline seen as advantageous but is not essential
- Knowledge of sampling, quality control and laboratory systems and processes
- Manual C Class Driver’s License
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive bonus
- Be recognised for your contribution, you’re thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave, cultural leave)
- To better suit different family needs, our paid parental leave approach gives all parents the option to take 18 weeks of paid leave after a new child arrives – at a time that suits them
- Exclusive employee discounts including hotel stays, banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more, read more about the huge range of benefits
Where you’ll be working
Dampier Salt Limited (DSL), located in Western Australia and comprising three solar operations – Dampier, Port Hedland, and Lake MacLeod – is the world’s largest exporter of seaborne salt, with capacity to produce approximately 10.3 million tonnes every year.
Residing in the Port Hedland township you will have the opportunity to embrace everything our beautiful WA coastline has to offer including the welcoming family-friendly environment.
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals, and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive.
We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Applications close on Friday, 1st December 2023 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date).